Today, Valentines Day, is my mummy's (your grandmother) birthday! She was born in Bristol, England to William & Hilda Hobbs.
Her father used to travel to Mexico for weeks at a time so she spent time there when she was younger. Eventually she ended up in Brownsville, Texas. While she was in university she was a cocktail waitress where she met one of my BFF Jackie's mom. She also met my Daddy there.
My mum and I had so much fun together when I was a kid. We were always going on adventures. She'd take me to the beach, to the zoo, shopping, art museums, and all sorts of other fun places.
- She was named after Portia from The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare... what a coincidence that she loves literature and grew up to be an English teacher.
- She loves to work-out. She bikes, lifts weights, does aerobics, and even runs. When I was too young to stay at home by myself, she used to take me to her aerobics classes after school where I'd wait for her class to end. She bought me a gym membership as soon as I was old enough. I think that's why I'm such a fitness freak now!
- She is a very lighthearted, free-spirited person with a great sense of humor. She's always laughing and being silly. All my friends love her.
- She used to make me enter art competitions. Not that I minded or anything. I even won a few. Maybe you'll like your grandmother and your great-grandfather do.
- She loves the outdoors and she loves to go on hikes. One of her favorite places is Laguna Atascosa wildlife refuge back in Texas. The picture below is from our trip up Mt. San Jacinto when she visited your daddy and I in California.
- She's always tells me I'm the most beautiful daughter in the world. Well I think she's the most beautiful mother.
- Food: She and I like a lot of the same types of food. She loves berries and always has them in her fridge. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries- she loves them all. She also loves caldo de mariscos. I probably get fry-stealing from her as well. When I was little she used to buy me happy meals after school every now and then. While I was eating them in the backseat she'd stretch her hand towards me so I could put a fry or two in it.
- Music: She likes all kinds of music, but all late-80's/early-90's pop music reminds me of her- songs like "What is Love?," "Where do you Go?," and anything by Madonna.
- Other hobbies: She loves to shop!
Dearest baby Eva, I am so lucky to have the best mommy in the world. I hope I can be your best friend when you're a little girl like my mom was mine. She's so excited to meet you. She always tells people how excited she is that she's going to have a granddaughter. She has a plane ticket to visit during Spring Break, which is when you're due, so please don't come late because she really really really wants to see you before she leaves! When you're older she'll take you on all the same adventures that she and I used to go on when I was a kid. I can't wait to see her make you giggle. I know we won't live close to her at first but I promise that we eventually we will. You're going to have so much fun together.